WotLK PVP Protection Warrior Guide (Quick)
Wrath Warrior Guide
Welcome to our PVP Protection Warrior guide for WoW WotLK. This guide will show you what you need to know to play the Warrior class as Protection. If you follow this build you should be king of the arena in no time!
This is the standard Protection Warrior build when you have BiS gear and the required T-10 pieces.
Optional replacements for Intervene
Gems can change based on your build, equipment and caps. You may need to adjust your gems to account for your gear.
- Meta: Relentless Earthsiege Diamond
- Red: Fractured Cardinal Ruby
- Blue: Puissant Dreadstone (2 max) fill with red gems.
- Yellow: Mystic King’s Amber or Fractured Cardinal Ruby (depending on resilience)
You may need to adjust your enchants based on your gear but these are the standard enchants.
- Head: Arcanum of Triumph
- Shoulder: Inscription of Triumph
- Back: Major Agility
- Chest: Exceptional Resilience
- Bracers: Greater Assault
- Gloves: Crusher or Precision
- Waist: Eternal Belt Buckle
- Legs: Earthen Leg Armor
- Boots: Tuskarr’s Vitality
- Armor Penetration (50% minimum)
- Hit Rating (6%)
- Health (30k min)
- Critical strike (30%)
- Resilience (at most 500)
You want to keep your resilience low so you can gem/enchant for more damage. Your armor and defensive CD’s will keep you safe from most threats. Prot warriors use mostly PvE gear for PvP. Most good players use mostly PvE gear and double damage trinkets, so you can start with PvP items and work your way backwards.
You need 4 T-10 items.
- Helmet and Chest – (Fury Warrior T-10)
- Shoulders and Gloves – (Prot Warrior T-10)
These set bonuses grant a huge damage boost and are basically required for this build to work.
You don’t really have a rotation, so here is a list of abilities and when to use them.
- Shield Slam is your top priority ability. If you don’t have enough rage, wait for Sword and Board to proc.
- Revenge does great damage to two targets.
- Devastate when the first two are on cooldown. Spam this with Heroic Strike for solid damage.
- Shockwave is an AOE stun for 4 seconds in a cone which also does nice damage.
- Concussion Blow is a 5 second single-target stun.
- Rend is a Damage over Time that is really useful against Rogues and Druids.
- Thunderclap is not a top priority but it is useful when everything else is on cooldown.
- Last Stand is a 30% Health increase. Great when you are about to die.
- Shield Wall is a 60% Damage reduction but cannot be used while disarmed.
- Shield Block is 10 seconds of 100% blocking physical attacks. This may just sound like a defensive ability but it gives you the ability to spam Revenge. This will result in proc’s of Sword and Board, which give you 10% Shield Slam damage, which is one of your top damaging abilities.
- Enraged Regeneration is our only self heal.
- Intimidating Shout – Fears a target for 8 seconds, he is locked in place and can’t move or use abilities.
- Intervene is a very useful ability when trying to save your partner. When talented it reduces the damage your partner will take by 30%. Best used when he is vulnerable or being focused down.
- Charge rushes to the target and applies a 2 second stun while also generating rage.
- Intercept rushes to the target and applies a 3 second stun and does a small amount of damage, doesn’t generate rage.
Arena Team Comps
Here are some partners for 2s and 3s in arena.
- Retribution Paladin
- Holy Paladin
- Arms Warrior
- Mutilate Rogue
- Enhancement Shaman
- Elemental Shaman + Holy Paladin
- Marksmanship Hunter + Holy Paladin
- Arms Warrior + Holy Paladin