PVP WotLK Fire Mage Guide (Short)
Wrath Mage Guide
Welcome to our PVP Fire Mage guide for WoW WotLK. This guide will show you what you need to know to play the Mage class as Fire in the arena. If you follow this build you should be king of the arena in no time!
Fire sacrifices a lot of survivability that frost would normally have in exchange for stuns in exchange for higher damage. I only recommend fire if you have great gear otherwise you end up being too easy to kill.
Living Bomb is better if you gem for Critical Strike. It works a lot better in Battlegrounds and world PVP where your enemies have bad PVP gear. Scorch works better in the arena where you will have less crits due to enemies having better gear.
Gems can change based on your build, equipment and caps. You may need to adjust your gems to account for your gear.
- Meta: Chaotic Skyflare Diamond
- Red: Runed Cardinal Ruby
- Blue: Mysterious Dreadstone
- Yellow: Potent Ametrine
You may need to adjust your enchants based on your gear but these are the standard enchants.
- Head: Arcanum of Burning Mysteries
- Shoulder: Greater Inscription of the Storm
- Back: Spell Piercing
- Chest: Exceptional Resilience
- Bracers: Superior Spellpower
- Gloves: Exceptional Spellpower
- Waist: Eternal Belt Buckle
- Legs: Sapphire Spellthread
- Boots: Tuskarr’s Vitality
- Two-Handed Weapon: Enchant Staff – Greater Spellpower
- One-Handed Weapon: Mighty Spellpower
- Hit (4%)
- Spell Power (3k-3.3k)
- Haste (900+)
- Resilience (1k+)
- Spell Penetration (110-130)
You need at least 4% hit rating to reliably hit players. 130 is the ideal amount of spell penetration for enemies with high resistances. 1k+ resilience is ideal, you really need a decent amount of resilience to avoid being burst down.
There really isn’t a rotation for this spec, you will spend most of your time trying to stay alive and then bursting when you see an opening.
You should stay near pillars, This will allow you to line of sight spells and kite melee classes around the pillar.
Fake casting is an important skill to have, this allows you to bait out the enemy silences/interrupts and will get you a window to burst. If you do get interrupted you can switch magic schools and cast a different type of spell.
Ice block can be used to break CC or prevent yourself from dying. Make sure you absolutely need to cast ice block when you do because it’s your best defensive CD. Make sure to stay in the ice block until your healer gets a heal off.
Here are some 2s & 3s partners that work well with a Fire Mage.
- Mutilate Rogue
- Shadow Priest
- Demonology Warlock
- Balance Druid
- Elemental Shaman
- Discipline Priest + Rogue
- Priest + Restoration Shaman
- Warlock + Restoration Druid
- Elemental Shaman + Discipline Priest
- Elemental Shaman + Holy Paladin